So, you have a good idea...no, no, you have a terrific idea and you need to get others to buy in. Or, you have a great new product, its just that you have several competitors who also think they have a great product and you need to convince consumers to choose yours. And so it goes. How do we influence and persuade people to shift their attitudes and behaviors? These links present some interesting strategies for examining relationships and customizing your communication for the greatest impact.
Questions for study
The resources below are extensive, so don't try to read all in detail. I suggest you check the one's with the red asterisk. The purpose in reading should be to identify techniques and reasons for developing an effective persuasive strategy.
- Think about a situation where you attempted to influence another person to your opinion/argument/product/etc. How well did it work? What were turning points positive or negative in the influence? Can you describe an implicit or explicit strategy you followed?
- Assume you are going to promote a product/service for your organization. Define a specific market segment and describe a step by step strategy for introducing the item, developing the pitch, dealing with objections, and confirming the "sale."
- Think of a recent news item where a prominent figure in business or government has presented an argument for a case. Analyze their strategy in presenting it.
- Think of a time that you have been strongly influenced by an argument or promotion. How did they do it? What does it reflect about you as a target market segment? What was their strategy that worked so well? Would you recommend any changes?
- When you use social sciences to better understand behavior such that you are enabled to influence another person, what are the ethical issues involved? What role does ethics play in your actual behavior on the job?
Modern political philosophy & manipulation
- *Check your Influence IQ-- what do you think you know about persuasion!
- Steve's Primer on practical persuasion and influence-- excellent series on the principles of persuasion
- *Persuasion principles and audience type-- considerations for different types of responders
- *Intensify/Downplay Schema-- interesting rationale for techniques
- *Introduction to social influence-- Kelton Rhoades Site on influence
- Consumer behavior & marketing-- excellent overview
- Persuasion & influence notes--
- Notes on persuasion--
- Persuasion as a form of communication-- student page with good summary information
- A study of persuasion techniques used by Jehovas Witnesses and the Watchtower--
- Hierarchy of Effect theories (including MaGuire's Persuasion matrix)
- *ELM Theory (summary & links)
- Persuasion (ppt)--
- ELM (ppt)--