These headers and contect areas include materials used in handouts to workshop participants, as well as discussion questions, "chalk talk," and overhead transparencies.
15 Qualities of Effective Organization Leaders
Questions for reflection & discussion:
- They have an accurate, self examined map of themselves
- They are positive and proactive
- They live their primary qualities in their relationships with others
- They have a clear vision and goals of what they want in life
- They communicate empathically
- They seek win/win interactions in their relationships with others
- They lead balanced lives
- They challenge themselves through a process of renewal-- social, spiritual, physical, intellectual
- They organize around important things in life-- they prioritize
- They have savvy
- They reach their synergystic solutions in their problem solving and decision making with others
- They appreciate the differences other bring to the team
- They adapt to change effectively
- They have a true belief in people
- They follow through on their commitments
Principles for Quality Leadership
- How would you define leadership?
- Describe your leadership strengths
- What areas of your leadership abilities would you like to further develop?
- Describe what you believe is the difference between management and leadership
- What leadership strategies would you use to develop and maintain an effective team with these two functions? How would you deal with conflicting issues or styles between the two?
- How would you describe your leadership style?
- How would you develop a work culture with the foundation that employees are our number one asset?
- What are the things you admire most in an effective leader?
- How would you respond to this statement: "If you want to be successful with others, you must first be successful with yourself? What does it mean to you as a manager?
- Describe the principles and ethics you believe are necessary to be an effective leader.
- How would you develop an effective team with the function you manage?
- Please complete this statement: "On the jon I m best at___________"
- Describe the types of things you would do to create a work environment where employees were always willing to give you their best?
- Define the process you would utilize in improving the job performance of a marginal performer.
- Believe in, foster and support teamwork
- Be committed to anticipation, innovation, and excellence around consumer feedback. Let data, not emotions, drive decisions
- Seek employee's input before making key decisions-- let them know they have been heard, and don't disregard their inputs. If you can't act on them, let them know why
- Believe that the best way to improve the quality of work or service is to ask and listen to employees who are doing the work
- Strive to develop mutual respect and trust among employees
- Have a customer orientation toward employees and citizens
- Manage on the behavior of 95% of employees and not on the 5% who cause problems. Deal with the 5% promptly and fairly.
- Look for ways to continuously improve systems before blaming people
- Avoid top-down decision making whenever possible
- Encourage creativity through risk taking and be tolerant of honest mistakes
- Be a facilitator, resource provider, communicator, supporter, and coach. Develop completely open communication channels.
- Develop win/win performance agreements with employees
- Provide meaning to employee's jobs. Rotate leadership responsibilities.
The 14 Areas of Quality
Creating a Committed Work Environment
Desirable Leadership Qualities
The Three "Zones" of Organizations
Cohort Value and Belief Systems